Activity 7 – OER
The term Open Education had been a bit vague for me in the past, but with further reading into this I discovered that I have been working with this concept.
How OER is being used in the Certificate in Human Services:
· As we are now in our second year of integrating the Certificate in Human Services with the Mental Health Certificate, our focus this year was to ensure that all of our teaching modules were transferred over to Moodle Books.The aim of this was that we were considering taking on distance students to help us expand our programme.
· Coincidentally we ended up having 4 distance students who moved away due to personal circumstances and we have found this challenging.
· We needed to come up with strategies fast to ensure they received support (pastoral and educational) to achieve with course.
· Our plan involved weekly phone calls to answer questions around course material/assessments, this is also done by having the student logged into Moodle at the same time (and the Lecturer or Teaching Assistant) so that we can direct students to specific areas.
· As we now have distance students we will be including Adobe Connect as a resource so we can communicate/support/teach these students more effectively as well as more efficiently.
· OER is still in its infancy on the Certificate programme, but it is a concept that we welcome.
· I am keen to learn further about OER and especially with technological advances and I will book in for training with EDC around anything that will enhance my skills and capabilities in this area.