ACTIVITY 5: Designing Strategies for Flexible Learning.
- This should be kept updated to reflect what is happening in society at a local, national and international level.
- It should be written in plain English so that it is easy to understand as we have vastly differing abilities in our student groups.
- Reviewing content, prior planning with team members, if the course is unit standard based ensuring that the content meets the standards set.
- Assessment pre and post moderation is important.
- Lesson plan is structured to break up information/theory with practical activities.
- Utilizing student course feedback to evaluate changes to course assessments and material where possible.
- Keep it focused on the material for each session.
- Activities should be used as tools, I use them in a way that students can use them in professional practice, I explain how they can use them in different contexts and that everything we teach on course is a tool that they can take away.
- They should be inclusive of different learning styles, be reflective, have students respond to how the activity was and how it relates to working with client groups.
- increase independent thought, class discussion.
- They should be well set out and material should be prepared ahead of time.
- Clear explanation of the activity.
COMMUNICATION / INTERACTION
- Encourage class discussion and the sharing of thoughts and ideas.
- Lecturer needs to be clear about process, I use an online agenda so students are aware of what is going to happen for the session, this is time bound as well.
- Unlocking course material at the start of each week so students can access it before class.
- Having set office hours to meet with students, keep them informed of any changes occurring, answer/reply to emails, calls or online forums.
- Keep students regularly informed of their progress.
- Open and transparent - including with team members when we have our fortnightly meeting to discuss students and course concerns - informing students openly about our policies, procedures and processes.
- Planning days with certificate staff team are vital, it allows us to look at each course and the assessments attached in more detail.
- The connections between each course, where will essays go, workbook tasks, in class assessments, individual assessments, group assessments, fieldwork portfolios, presentations.
- Checking the criteria on marking schedules that it meets the learning outcomes, aims and course content.
- Pre and post moderation of course books internally and also attending external moderation meetings with the aim of ensuring our assessments meet unit standard criteria and that they are fair.